Cornell Boggs is an accomplished general counsel and corporate secretary experienced in all aspects of corporate management and oversight, including ethics and global compliance, executive coaching, and succession plan development. At Quarles & Brady, he will play an integral role in helping to create diverse and inclusive teams to meet emerging client demands in this area.
Leveraging his unique background and vantage point, he will work with the firm’s attorneys in building teams and promoting collaboration to provide the best client experience and outcomes. He will also work closely with the firm’s leadership and diverse lawyers to create pathways for success, improve their experience and increase diversity in the firm.
Cornell is currently the vice chair of the board of directors and chair of the governance committee at Thrivent Financial, a Fortune 500 company, where he will continue to serve. His skillset spans a variety of industries, including food and beverage, manufacturing, technology, and biotechnology. Prior to joining Quarles & Brady, he served as General Counsel for both Toys "R" Us and Dow Corning, Chief Responsibility and Ethics Officer for MillerCoors (now Molson Coors Beverage Company), and in prominent leadership positions at other Fortune 500 companies.
He was recognized as a “Legend in Law” by receiving the prestigious Burton Award from the Library of Congress and the American Bar Association, and Savoy magazine named him among the “Most Influential Black Corporate Directors,” one of the “Most Influential Black Lawyers,” and as one of the “Top 100 Influential Blacks in Corporate America.”
Cornell holds a Juris Doctor from Valparaiso University, where he is a long-time board member. He is also on the board of directors of the nonprofit International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution.
Admitted in Indiana, Michigan, and Missouri.
Education and Honors
- Valparaiso University (J.D., 1985)
- Valparaiso University (B.A., 1982)
- Major: Journalism
Professional and Civic Activities
- Executive Leadership Council (Member)
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (Member)
- Valparaiso University (Board Member, Vice Chairman of Audit Committee, Member of Executive Committee; 2004-Present)
- Thrivent Financial (Vice Chair, Board of Directors; Chair, Governance Committee)
- American Bar Association (Former Member, Standards Review Committee for the Accreditation of US Law Schools)
- Association of Corporate Counsel (Former Board Member)
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association (Former Board Member)
- Awarded the Burton "Legend in the Law" Award by the Library of Congress and the American Bar Association (2017)
- Honored as one of the "Most Influential Black Corporate Directors" by Savoy magazine (2015-2016)
- Named one of the "Most Influential Black Lawyers in America" by Savoy magazine (2015)
- Recognized as one of the "Top 100 Influential Blacks in Corporate America" by Savoy magazine (2014)
- Named one of the "Most Influential People in Valparaiso University's 150-year History" (2009)