Paul L. Langer serves as the Chicago Office Managing Partner, Chair of the Chicago Office Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice, and is a member of the Insurance Coverage Litigation Practice Group. He practices in the area of insurance coverage, general commercial litigation, product liability, and class actions, providing counsel to a broad range of corporate clients in federal and state courts across the country.
Paul has significant experience representing policyholders in
- Commercial liability policy disputes involving environmental, product liability, toxic tort, antitrust, intellectual property, and construction defect claims.
- Professional liability and errors omissions claims involving lawyers, accountants, and healthcare professionals.
- Coverage disputes involving healthcare entities, managed care claims, ERISA, and fiduciary duty claims.
- Directors and officers liability policy disputes involving wrongful act claims against the board of directors and senior officers of for-profit and not-for-profit entities.
- Employment practices liabilities policy disputes involving discrimination, sexual harassment, termination, and unfair labor practices claims.
- A chemical company in $4 billion environmental and products coverage action.
- An oil pipeline in $400 million environmental coverage action against numerous insurers.
- A large Canadian brewery in insurance coverage for patent and trademark infringement.
- A major railroad in $100 million environmental coverage action against insurers.
- National coverage counsel in coverage litigation involving the nationwide, mass failure of FRT Plywood.
- National coverage counsel in declaratory judgment action involving the mass failure of Pb Plumbing.
- Energy, Environment & Natural Resources
- Data Privacy & Security
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Financial Institutions Litigation
Education and Honors
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., 1985)
- University of Illinois (B.S., 1982)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel (Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Former Co-Chairman of YLS Insurance Law Committee)
- Illinois State Board of Higher Education (Member)
- Illinois Policyholder Coverage Group (Member)
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2012–present: Insurance: Dispute Resolution)
- Selected as an Illinois Leading Lawyer - Leading Lawyers Network, 2017–present (Insurance, Insurance Coverage & Reinsurance)
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers® (2006, 2008–present)
- Listed in “The Top Business Lawyers In Illinois – Insurance, Insurance Coverage & Reinsurance Law,” Leading Lawyers Magazine, July 2010
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2009–present)