Kristin Graham Noel is National Chair of the Firm's Intellectual Property Litigation Team. She devotes most of her practice to patent, trademark, and trade secret litigation, particularly high-stakes competitor litigation. Her experience covers a variety of technologies, such as telecommunications, biotech, stem cell, drug target, software, mechanical, and electrical inventions.
Having been trained within the Western District of Wisconsin's “rocket docket,” Kristin is a true believer that front-end preparation dictates back-end results. Her team is proactive, aggressive and efficient. That discipline is one of the reasons that Quarles has been called a “Litigation Powerhouse” by The BTI Consulting Group and is on BTI’s “Honor Roll” in the categories of “IP Litigation” and “Most Feared Litigation Firm.” Kristin is also listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Litigation - Intellectual Property, and was recognized as Best Lawyers® 2021 Madison Litigation - Intellectual Property "Lawyer of the Year."
Kristin has tried several cases to verdict. In the last few years alone, she has served as lead liability trial counsel obtaining a $44.1M and $5.4M verdict in two patent cases, as well as local counsel obtaining a $940M verdict in a trade secrets case. She also has multiple defense verdicts, including obtaining freedom to operate for a company’s $11B technology.
Kristin also actively participates in firm administration. In addition to serving as Chair of the IP Litigation Team, she previously served as vice chair of the firm’s Billing Committee, hiring partner for the Madison office, chair of the Madison Attorney Recruiting Committee, chair of the Madison Summer Associate Committee, member of the IP Litigation Client Development Committee, and member of the Madison Client Development Committee.
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Inter Partes Review Proceedings
- Trade Secrets
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Technology Transfer
- Research Institutions
- Design Patents
- Trademark Litigation
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- Northwestern University (B.A.)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- high honors
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association (Member)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Member)
- Western District of Wisconsin Bar Association (Member)
- The Noel Compass Foundation (Former Board Member)
- Nyumbani Village International, Inc. (Former Board Member)
- Madison Symphony Orchestra, Symphony with a Twist Committee (Former Member)
- Leadership Greater Madison (Former Member)
- Best Lawyers® 2021 Madison Litigation - Intellectual Property "Lawyer of the Year"
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America®,Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2018–present
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers® lists, Intellectual Property Litigation, 2009-present
- Madison's "40 Under 40" by In Business magazine, 2005