Thorough and responsive counsel for health care providers
Jaya White represents a wide range of health care clients—primarily in the long-term care industry—in regulatory and transactional matters. She also has ample experience advising pharmacy, physician, wholesale distribution and infusion providers in a broad array of issues. Jaya's clients include:
- Buyers, sellers and investors in the sale or purchase of long-term care facilities
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Assisted living facilities
- Independent living facilities
- Continuing care retirement communities
- Home health, home infusion and hospice providers
- Behavioral health providers
- Clinical laboratories
Jaya understands the rapidly evolving world of the health care industry and stays current on the regulatory landscape so she can immediately guide her clients with their changing needs. Clients appreciate her thorough analysis and responsive nature when issues arise.
Jaya is the Chicago office chair of the Health Law Group. Additionally, she is the national co-chair of the Long-term Care Practice, the Clinical Laboratories practice and the Behavioral Health Providers practice.
Experience in Action
- Advises and works as health care regulatory counsel for long-term care and behavioral health clients on issues including compliance with applicable federal and/or state requirements, Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement requirements and transactional representation, including drafting and submitting required governmental notices and applications for changes of ownership (CHOW) and changes of information (CHOI).
- Counsels clients regarding fraud, abuse and privacy issues, including the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, Eliminating Kickbacks in Recovery Act (EKRA), Office of Inspector General (OIG) exclusion authority, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and state privacy law considerations.
- Advises clients on operationalizing home infusion and infusion suite business models by analyzing licensure requirements, conducting licensure gap analyses and seeking waivers of applicable regulations.
- Drafts and negotiates various agreements related to mergers and acquisitions of health care providers, including acting as regulatory counsel and handling the health care-related aspects of purchase and sale agreements, management, operations transfer and transition services agreements, marketing and consulting agreements, HIPAA business associate and confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, general service agreements and other health care-related agreements.
- Assists pharmacy and wholesale distributor clients in developing regulatory compliance strategies, including review and analysis of laws and regulations in all 50 states.
- Counsels Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA)-certified clinical laboratory clients on all regulatory, licensure and reimbursement aspects.
- Regulatory counsel for skilled nursing and assisted living operators in the purchase and sale of facilities, including managing the related licensure and certification processes.
- Provides ongoing regulatory counsel to national assisted living client related to both federal and state guidance throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Helped national assisted living provider navigate the Provider Relief Fund through the application, reporting and auditing process.
- Manages the purchase and sale of home health agencies and hospice providers, ensuring compliance with applicable Medicare conditions of participation.
- Provided regulatory and reimbursement counsel to a national CLIA-certified clinical laboratory in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Crain’s Chicago Business “2021 Notable Rising Stars in Law"
Professional & Civic Activities
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, fellow, 2017
- American Society for Pharmacy Law, member
- American Health Law Association, member
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys, member
- Illinois Health Care Association, member
- Chicago Bar Association, member
- American Bar Association–Health Law Section, member
News & Insights
- Media Mention
- Presentation"The Impact of the Dobbs Decision on Pharmacy"NACDS Pharmacy Compliance Roundtable
- News Release
- Presentation"Green Illinois: One Midwestern State Charts its Own Course on Recreational and Medical Cannabis"Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys (IAHA) 37th Annual Health Law Symposium, Chicago, IL
- News Release
- Presentation"The Keys are Under the Mat: Closing a Medicare Certified SNF"Indiana Health Care Association/Indiana Center for Assisted Living (IHCA/INCAL), 2017 Convention and Expo, Indianapolis, IN
- Presentation"Don't Smile: Cameras in Long Term Care are Trouble"Health Care Council of Illinois, Skokie, IL
- Article"The Keys Are Under the Mat: Closing a Medicare Certified Skilled Nursing Facility"American Health Lawyers Association, AHLA Connections, vol. 21, issue 6
- Article"Snapchat, Facebook, and Instagram, Oh My! Social Media, Resident Abuse, HIPAA, and Long Term Care"
- Presentation"Cyber Health Crisis: How to Manage the Risk"Illinois Health Care Association, 66th Annual Convention and Expo, Peoria, IL
- Presentation"Don't Smile: Cameras in Assisted Living are Trouble"Leading Age Indiana, Spring Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Presentation"What I Wish I Knew Then"Chicago Committee Associate Board, Law Firm Boot Camp Program
- Blog - To Be Or Not To 340B
- Presentation"Assisted Living Facilities in the State of Indiana: The Survey Process and Reporting Requirements"Client Webinar
- Presentation“Developments in the Law: Noncompete Agreements”Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Employment Law Committee
- Article“340B Toolkit”American Health Lawyers Association
- News Release
- PresentationPharmacy Promotional Activities, Their Impact and Their Future: Coupons, Gift Cards, Reward Programs and Inducements”American Pharmacists Association, Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL
- Presentation“2014 OIG Work Plan”Client Webinar
- Article“Heightened Regulatory Scrutiny Facing Innovative POD Arrangements"American Health Lawyers Association, Journal of Health & Life Sciences Law, vol. 7, no. 2
- Presentation“Hiring Wisely: Enforceability of Employment Agreements, Covenants Not to Compete, and Non-Solicitation/Confidentiality Clauses”Chicago Minority Supplier Development Council, Minority Business Development Agency, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Presentation“HIPAA in a HITECH World”Client Presentation
- Presentation“What’s Next in Health Care Reform for 2014”Client Presentation
- Presentation“Hot Topics in Medicare Reimbursement”Client Presentation
- Presentation“Medicare Legislative Changes Since the Affordable Care Act”Client Presentation
- The Ohio State University Law School (J.D., 2006)
- Ohio State Law Journal, associate editor, 2005–2006; staff member, 2004–2005
- The Ohio State University (B.S., magna cum laude, 2002)
- Major: Business Administration
- University Honors Program
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2007