Steve Kruzel is an attorney in Quarles & Brady's Labor & Employment Practice Group. He frequently advises companies on a wide range of employment issues and defends them before courts and agencies, including the National Labor Relations Board, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the Wisconsin Equal Rights Division. Steve has complex workplace litigation experience concerning employment discrimination, wage/hour issues, whistleblower matters, wrongful discharge and many other areas of employment law. He also frequently assists clients with traditional labor issues, including contract administration and arbitrations.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Steve has been a trusted advisor for clients navigating the impacts of COVID-19 on their business operations and employees. He has provided guidance on remote workforce policies, procedures, and training; employee safety; reductions in force, furloughs, layoffs; Work Share program participation; family and medical leave due to coronavirus or childcare interruptions; ADA accommodations; return to work issues, including salary reductions, social distancing in the workplace, and preventing discrimination and harassment related to COVID-19; and union related issues (including grievances, bargaining over layoffs and other issues and responding to unfair labor practice charges); among many others challenges.
Additionally, Steve regularly helps higher education institutions navigate compliance with various federal and state laws, in particular, Title IX, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. He has assisted higher education institutions with regard to training requirements, internal investigations, policy reviews, discrimination prevention strategies, and an institution's defense in student discrimination claims.
Steve authors and speaks on timely labor and employment issues, and provides training on employment topics for clients.
Education and Honors
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., summa cum laude, 2014)
- Marquette Law Review, Editor-in-Chief (2014)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (B.S., 2011)
Professional and Civic Activities
- St. Thomas More High School (Board of Directors: Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic (Volunteer)
- Children's Hospital Guardianship Pro Bono Clinic (Volunteer)
- State Bar of Wisconsin – Pro Bono Honor Society (2015)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® "Ones to Watch" (2021, Labor and Employment Law - Management)