Emily Feinstein is a partner and commercial litigator at Quarles & Brady. She represents clients in disputes relating to insurance coverage, consumer law, trade secrets, health care, and commercial transactions.
Emily focuses her practice on in-depth knowledge of her client's business practices and uses that knowledge to efficiently resolve disputes. Emily has particular experience in health-related insurance claims, including billing disputes between providers and payors; consumer law disputes in the vacation ownership industry; health care litigation for or against providers; and trade secret litigation.
In addition, Emily is an expert on helping survivors of domestic violence obtain protective injunctions. Over the past several years, Emily has repeatedly represented clients in these evidentiary hearings, obtaining injunctions to prevent their abusers from contacting them. Seeing a greater need than she could meet, Emily created a network of attorneys in the Madison area, both at Quarles and not, to represent these clients as well and regularly trains attorneys on how to represent clients in these situations.
Her recent experience includes:
- Successfully obtaining partial summary judgment in a dispute involving a Vacation Ownership Company resulting in the case being dismissed with no settlement payout to the former owner.
- Successfully obtained complete summary judgment for a provider of business process management solutions to health care providers in a dispute over medical billing services.
- Obtaining a full defense verdict of breach of contract and bad faith claims against a long-term disability insurer.
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2001)
- Law Review (Senior Managing Editor, 2000-2001; Staff Member, 1999-2000)
- Wisconsin Moot Court Board (Member, 1999-2001)
- University of Illinois (B.A., 1998)
- Women's Ice Hockey, Club Team (Member 1994-1998)
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2002
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2001
Professional and Civic Activities
- Board of Governors, President, Western District Bar Association
- Trustee and Treasurer, Dane County Bar Association, Pro Bono Trust
- Westmorland Neighborhood Association (President and Board Member)
- Coach, West Madison Polar Caps Youth Hockey Association
- Fellow, Wisconsin Law Foundation
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2022
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association Pro Bono Award, 2019
- Star Mentor Award Winner, Quarles & Brady LLP, 2017
- Dane County Bar Association Pro Bono Award, for work with survivors of domestic violence, 2015
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers®-Rising Stars Edition, Intellectual Property Litigation, 2010, 2013–2016
- Madison In Business, 40 Under 40, 2009
- Athena Young Professional Award Nominee, 2008