Jaya White is the Chicago Office Chair of the firm's Health Law Practice Group. Ms. White represents a wide range of health care clients in regulatory and transactional matters, primarily in the pharmacy and long-term care industries.
- Represents buyers, sellers, and investors in the sale or purchase of long term care facilities, including skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities and continuing care retirement communities.
- Advises on regulatory licensure and registration issues related to health care transactions and changes of ownership (CHOWs).
- Drafts and negotiates various agreements related to the purchase or sale of health care providers, including marketing and consulting agreements, confidentiality agreements, service agreements, transfer agreements, HIPAA business associate agreements, and other health care related agreements.
- Counsel to long-term care facilities and home health agencies and to other health care providers, advising clients on fraud and abuse issues, the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback regulations, Medicare Conditions of Participation, HIPAA, OIG exclusion authority, and other compliance matters, including the drafting of compliance program manuals.
- Advises assisted living and skilled nursing facility clients on regulatory compliance, including review of admission agreements, medical director agreements, and various facility policies.
- Counsel to pharmacies, pharmacists, and wholesale distributors regarding regulatory compliance and matters pending before state boards of pharmacy, and before other governmental agencies across the country.
- Represents both HIPAA-covered entities and business associates to implement HIPAA/HITECH compliance programs; assists health care providers in the identification, mitigation, investigation, and correction of privacy and security breach incidents; and analyzes business arrangements for HIPAA compliance on behalf of covered entities and business associates.
- Assists pharmacy clients in developing compliance strategies, including review and analysis of laws and regulations in all 50 states, on licensing issues, and in such areas as remote prescription processing, shared services, and automation.
- Assists pharmacy and hospital clients with issues involving the 340B Discount Drug program and contract pharmacy issues.
- Represents licensed professionals facing governmental investigations and prosecutions.
- Represents long-term care facilities in change of ownership (CHOW) transactions, including drafting and submitting required notices and applications to governmental agencies.
- Health & Life Sciences
Education and Honors
- Ohio State University–Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2006)
- Ohio State Law Journal (Associate Editor, 2005–2006; Staff Member, 2004–2005)
- The Ohio State University (B.S., magna cum laude, 2002)
- Major: Business Administration
- University Honors Program
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2007
Professional and Civic Activities
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (2017 Fellow)
- American Society for Pharmacy Law (Member)
- American Health Lawyers Association (Member)
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys (Member)
- Illinois Health Care Association (Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association–Health Law Section (Member)
- The Ohio State University Alumni Association, Chicago (Member)
- Chicago Committee (Associate Board Member)