Margaret Utterback is a partner in the Business Law Practice Group, member of the firm's Executive Committee, and current chair of the Madison Business Law Practice Group. She practices in the areas of commercial finance, automotive, data privacy and security, commercial law, and mergers and acquisitions. She has experience representing clients in a variety of complex transactions, including mergers and acquisitions. Within the automotive industry, her practice includes advice regarding dealer programs, data privacy, commercial contracts, and mergers and acquisitions. Her practice also includes health care transactions, and public finance transactions as borrower’s counsel.
Margaret’s recent projects include:
- Counsel for independent nonprofit hospitals in affiliation transactions resulting in a new sole member.
- Counsel to publicly and privately held clients in connection with negotiating and restructuring credit facilities.
- Counsel to sellers in connection with the sale of a privately held company in the construction industry.
- Counsel to tax-exempt clients in connection with publicly offered bonds and private placements.
- Representation of health care and senior living facilities as borrowers in connection with tax-exempt bond financing projects and other transactions. Counsel to commercial lenders and borrowers in single lender and syndicated credit transactions and secured and unsecured financings.
- Counsel to privately held clients in connection with response to data breaches, including breaches resulting from attacks on point of sale systems, stolen equipment, and inadvertent breaches.
- Counsel to automotive industry clients in connection with dealer programs, commercial contracts, and other commercial matters.
- Negotiation and drafting of commercial agreements, including broker agreements, confidentiality agreements, letters of intent, supply agreements, standard terms and conditions of sale and purchase, and third-party legal opinions.
- Business Law
- Data Privacy & Security
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Health & Life Sciences
- Automotive Industry
Education and Honors
- University of Notre Dame, Mendoza College of Business (Certificate of Executive Management, 2013)
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2001)
- Wisconsin Law Review (Senior Note and Comment Editor, 2000–2001; Member, 1999–2000)
- United States Naval Academy (B.S., 1987)
- with merit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2001
Professional and Civic Activities
- University of Wisconsin Madison Law School, Adjunct Faculty (2011–2013)
- Wisconsin Bar Association (Member, 2001–present)
- American Bar Association (Member, 2001–present)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (Member)
- Blue and Gold Officer (2000–2013)
- Board of Directors, Children’s Theatre of Madison, Inc. (2011–2017)
- Board of Directors, Girl Scouts of Wisconsin – Badgerland, Inc. (2014–present; Chair, 2015–present)
- Board of Directors, Second Harvest Food Bank of Southern Wisconsin (2015–present)
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® 2020 Madison Corporate Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2016–present: Banking & Finance)
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers® 2016–present (Business/Corporate)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2013–present: Corporate Compliance Law; Corporate Law)
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Editions 2008–2010 (Business/Corporate)