Ben Graff is an established Arizona land use and zoning attorney with extensive experience in government relations and Arizona politics. Ben authored one of the first Planned Unit Development applications approved by the City of Phoenix and has become one of the preeminent attorneys furthering creative downtown infill development. Ben has not shied away from the more unique land use cases, having secured the necessary approvals for Arizona’s largest utility-scale solar plant. He also played a prominent role in securing the approval for a luxury resort, The Ritz Carlton in Paradise Valley, in 2015, and has vast experience zoning and entitling projects throughout Arizona. Luxury multi-family, senior living, affordable housing, single-family, industrial uses, office, mixed-use developments, and securing the approval for Arizona’s most prominent luxury resort are just a few examples of his experience. Ben focuses on leading the firm's land use, zoning, and municipal government relations team.
As an Arizona native with deep roots in local politics and experience influencing strategic decisions related to land use policy, Ben’s successful practice is sustained through his connections with the development community, planning staff, neighborhood leaders, appointed officials, and elected officials in towns, cities, and counties throughout Arizona. In 2004, Ben was appointed by the Governor to serve a two-year term on the Arizona Board of Regents. Ben’s interests in politics ventured beyond advocacy when on November 8, 2016, he was elected by the Maricopa County voters to serve a six-year term on the Central Arizona Water Conservation District (Central Arizona Project) Board of Directors.
His clients benefit from Ben's extensive development and political networks and his long record of successes in obtaining governmental approvals for rezoning cases, use permits, variances, special use permits, abandonments, certificates of occupancy, site plan approvals, design approvals, and other various administrative cases. From Gilbert to Goodyear and Tucson to Flagstaff, Ben's practice has contributed to communities throughout Arizona.
Education and Honors
- University of Arizona (J.D., 2006)
- University of Arizona (B.A., 2001)
- Namesake for the Benjamin W. Graff Award for Public Service at The University of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
Professional and Civic Activities
- Elected Official: Central Arizona Water Conservation District Board
- Regent Emeritus, Arizona Board of Regents
- Valley Partnership (Board of Directors, 2020; Served as VP Legislative Committee Chair for 5 Years)
- LAI (Lambda Alpha International), a Land & Economics Society
- Arizona Forward
- Kids at Hope Board of Directors (Non-Profit Organization)
- Valley Leadership Class 31
- Flinn/Brown Foundation Leadership Academy Inaugural Class No. 1
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2019-present: Land Use and Zoning Law, 2021-present: Real Estate Law)