General Corporate and Outside General Counsel Services
We work in strategic partnership as a natural extension of your business
Capabilities at a glance
- We design our service offerings to suit businesses of any type, from large global operations to privately held or employee-owned businesses of every size.
- We provide responsive, high-quality, practical legal services to meet your needs, and we understand the importance of budget- and matter-management to your business.
- Our in-house and outside general counsel experience enables us to work quickly, effectively and creatively to deliver the right legal solutions with a business mindset.
- We recognize that trust and partnership are a serious investment and are committed to earning them.
Holistic legal support to address any issue your business might encounter
Companies rely on Quarles as outside general counsel because we offer the depth of skill and breadth of experience necessary to achieve their business objectives. Whether the issues are complex or straightforward, our lawyers will always deliver the appropriate level of resources to complete the task at hand. Serving as a strategic advisor, we provide efficient, day‐to‐day counsel across a range of legal disciplines. We understand the fast‐moving, cutting‐edge business world our clients operate in and are committed to providing business-focused solutions that add value. Stakeholders, business owners, families, executives and boards often look to us to serve as a sounding board on legal and business matters. We make it a point to obtain a thorough working knowledge of our clients’ business practices, industries, organizations, and strategic goals and objectives so we can give you the top-notch representation you deserve. We tremendously value our long-term relationships and are always committed to building new ones.
Dedicated, skilled attorneys working across all areas of law
Many of our attorneys have served as in-house counsel in the public, private or nonprofit sectors. Many serve, or have served, as outside general counsel for some of our most loyal and longstanding clients, especially private companies. Underscoring our status as a trusted partner, our top 100 clients have been with Quarles for an average of nearly 17 years. For our top 500 clients, the average is more than 13 years. This means we have a deep bench of attorneys who are well-versed in representing a company’s interests in all areas, including M&A and other transactions, financing, governance, securities and day-to-day commercial matters. As needed, we also can draw on attorneys in other specialty areas such as tax, intellectual property, data privacy, litigation, labor and employment, employee benefits, environmental, immigration, estate and succession planning and real estate. Our experience spans a broad range of industries, including manufacturing, food and beverage, professional services, health care and information technology.
- Planning, structuring and forming new businesses.
- Structuring relationships among owners, including buy-sell agreements.
- Advising on corporate governance matters, including:
- Director and officer fiduciary duties
- Board meetings
- Codes of conduct for officers, directors, employees and other constituencies
- Risk management and risk oversight systems and responsibilities
- Related party transaction monitoring and approval
- Whistleblower systems and internal investigations
- Regulatory compliance
- Supply chain issues and commercial contracting
- Stock and asset acquisitions, mergers and divestiture transactions
- Planning and coordinating credit transactions, reorganizations, restructurings and recapitalizations.
- Advising on executive compensation plans and arrangements.
- Tax, estate and gift planning
- Succession planning
- Investment opportunities
- Exit strategies
- Family office formation, launch and ongoing support
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Successfully argued and negotiated on behalf of a large manufacturing client in the automotive industry to prevent numerous suppliers from imposing price increases valued in the tens of millions of dollars.