Nick Meza focuses his practice on regulatory compliance and transactional counsel to healthcare businesses, including retail, independent, mail-order, specialty, and long-term care pharmacies, pharmacy benefits managers (PBMs), pharmacy hubs, wholesale drug distributors, drug and device manufacturers, hospitals, physician groups, and integrated behavioral health practices. Before attending law school, Nick obtained a master's degree in public health, policy and administration and worked at a local community health center supporting multiple cancer prevention programs.
- Advises retail, chain, and independent pharmacies with practice of pharmacy compliance, automated dispensing systems, supply chain, controlled substance (both DEA and state Controlled Substance Acts), and business licensing, including change of ownership (CHOW), change of location (CHOL) and change of officer (CHOO) requirements.
- Provides strategic advice and contractual support to pharmacy clients seeking to enter into complex shared services arrangements, including central fill, prescription order processing, and remote pharmacy models.
- Counsels wholesale drug distributors, drug and device manufacturers, and repackagers on compliance with the federal Drug Quality and Security Act (DQSA). Assists wholesalers with the development of federal and state controlled substance monitoring and suspicious order reporting programs.
- Provides state regulatory and licensure advice for entities engaged in the dispensing and distribution of investigational drug products.
- Supports health care companies affected by and responding to emergencies or disasters, including the COVID-19 pandemic by monitoring public health emergency declarations and regulatory agency responses. Providing guidance regarding scope of practice expansions and vaccination programs under the Public Readiness and Preparedness (PREP) Act.
- Advises software and medical technology companies both currently operating in and entering the pharmacy and telehealth space with scope of practice compliance, fraud/waste/abuse compliance, and operational business needs.
- Assists national oncology and specialty physician practices with the development of specialty drug programs and in-office dispensing (IOD) operations.
- Defends health care facilities and licensed health care professionals against regulatory and licensing board investigations and complaints.
Prior to joining the firm, Nick served as a Judicial Extern for the Honorable David K. Duncan in the United States District Court, District of Arizona. Nick was also a legal intern at PetSmart, Inc. and the Arizona State University Office of General Counsel.
- Health & Life Sciences
Education and Honors
- Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University (J.D., 2013)
- Arizona State Law Journal, technology editor
- William H. Pedrick Scholar; Hon. Valdemar A. Cordova Scholar
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) Lloyd M. Johnson, Jr. Scholar
- CALI Award (Legal Method & Writing, Public Health Law, Health Care Fraud)
- University of Arizona - Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health (M.P.H., 2008)
- Master of Public Health, Policy and Administration
- Project EXPORT Fellow
- Hispanic Alumni Association Outstanding Graduate Student – Excellence in Leadership and Academics
- University of Arizona (B.S., cum laude, 2006)
- Major: Health Sciences
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2013
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Society of Pharmacy Law, contributing editor
- National Association of Specialty Pharmacy, member
- American Health Law Association, member
- American Bar Association, member
- Arizona Society of Healthcare Attorneys, member
- Maricopa County Bar Association, member
- Los Abogados Hispanic Bar Association, member
- Quarles & Brady Phoenix Office Recruiting Committee, co-chair
- Quarles & Brady Hispanic Business Resource Group, co-chair
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), pathfinder, Class of 2017
- Planned Parenthood of Arizona, board member, member, 2012-2014
- Special Olympics of Arizona Emerging Leaders Council, member, 2014-2016
- Honorable David K. Duncan in the United States District Court, District of Arizona, judicial extern
- The Best Lawyers in America® "Ones to Watch", Health Care Law, 2021, 2022
- Southwest Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars, Healthcare, 2018-present